Job Posting: Sales and Development Manager (Publishing/Not-for-Profit)
Position Type: Contract – Part-time, 2 days per week (flexible hours and partial work-from-home potential)
Job Region: ON – Metro Toronto; Location: The Distillery District
The Dance Current is a not-for-profit arts organization responsible for publishing Canada’s dance magazine, The Dance Current (print), and producing online programming, along with several dance community programs and partnerships. The Dance Current is entering its 13th successful year, with a frequency of 9 issues per year. More than a magazine, the organization positions itself as an educational and community development organization.
The Dance Current seeks a skilled Sales and Development Manager to develop and execute print and web advertising sales, and business development/marketing strategies. The Sales and Development Manager works collaboratively with the close-knit, three-person operations team and group of interns, and reports to the Publisher/Founding Editor. As DMG is a small, not-for-profit organization, the position involves a wide variety of tasks; however, the Sales and Development Manager's priority is advertising sales.
• Developing, managing and executing annual and special advertising sales campaigns including achieving financial targets, maintaining client relationships, managing the database, completing booking contracts, processing artwork and tracking/evaluating results.
• Identifying and pursuing new advertising clients, partners and sponsors in target markets.
• Developing and actioning revenue development initiatives in the areas of circulation, fundraising, sponsorships and grants in collaboration with the Publisher/Founding Editor and team.
• Managing and executing existing and new marketing initiatives and expanding the organization's public profile.
The ideal candidate:
• has a minimum of 3 years of pertinent experience in sales, ideally in the arts/culture publishing niche.
• has exceptional revenue development and relationship-building expertise in the publishing and/or not-for-profit sector.
• is an excellent creative problem-solver with an ability to envision innovative sales and development campaigns.
• is able to maximize e-marketing and social networking tools for profile and revenue development.
• is a flexible, results-oriented team player, able to work within tight budgets and meet regular production deadlines without exception.
• is positive, outgoing and motivated to achieve aggressive sales targets and take the organization to new levels.
• has exceptional written and verbal communication, time management, collaboration/facilitation and project management skills.
• is fluent in Word and Excel, familiar with Filemaker or similar database software, and has working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat.
• has a stable and reliable personal computer with capacity for high-resolution image processing, a consistent high-speed internet connection and telephone line if partial work-from-home option is of interest.
• Knowledge of the publishing industry is highly desirable. Knowledge of the dance sector is considered an asset. Bilingual French/English also considered an asset.
Qualified applicants only. Recent arts administration graduates with relevant experience and applicable skills will be considered. Please apply with resume, letter and references to:
For further information email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.thedancecurrent.com.
Extended Application Deadline: Tuesday, June 29, 2010.
Position Start: week of Monday, July 5, 2010. (Ideally, the candidate will be available on Fridays throughout July for training.)
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.