Job Posting: Editor (Publishing/Not-for-Profit)
Position Type: Contract, Part-time
Job Region: ON – Metro Toronto; Location: The Distillery District
The Dance Current is a not-for-profit dance media organization publishing a flagship print magazine and a variety of online content extensions through our web presence at www.thedancecurrent.com. More than a magazine, the organization positions itself as a media and community development organization. Entering our 14th year in May 2011, we are in a growth and development phase and are looking to expand our team.
The Dance Current is looking for an Editor to oversee, direct and edit both print and online content. The organization publishes eight regular and one special issue per year, and produces content extensions including news, reviews, videos and web features online. Responsible for the overall vision of the publications, the Editor leads the editorial team and manages editorial and operational objectives by setting policies and procedures to make sure that the editorial goals are met with the financial resources available. The editor also undertakes substantive, style and copy editing, and proofing responsibilities in a variety of print and online areas.
The Editor reports to the Board of Directors and works closely with the Publisher. Reporting to the Editor are the News & Copy Editor, Translator, Listings Editor/Staff Writer, and Art Director. As The Dance Current is a small, not-for-profit organization, the position involves a wide variety of responsibilities and the ideal candidate will enjoy working within a closely collaborative and responsive context.
This is a contract position requiring 1-3 days per week dependant on the publication cycle. Compensation is commensurate with experience and time required on a per issue basis.
Qualifications for this position include but are not limited to:
● A bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field (required)
● A minimum of 8 years of experience working for magazines with hands-on editorial experience, both print and online
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, extreme attention to detail, excellent time management, collaboration/facilitation and team management skills
● Knowledge and experience with new media and online editorial models/approaches
● Experience leading teams or work groups with an ability to develop and communicate a vision and to motivate staff to achieve it
● Excellent organizational skills with an ability to juggle multiple tasks while still meeting deadlines
● Knowledgeable and passionate about contemporary dance and arts and culture
● Experience with Microsoft Office and online publishing technologies
● Bilingual French/English highly desirable.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
● Developing and maintaining editorial vision and long-term planning
● Curating and planning print and online content
● Editing and preparing print and online content including substantive, style and copy editing, and proofing
● Writing monthly columns or features including an editorial for each issue
● Approving final copy and files
● Creating and managing online presence
● Overseeing the editorial budget
● Working with the sales team to communicate editorial objectives and set advertising strategy
● Developing and mentoring editorial staff by providing guidance and offering feedback and developing editorial contracts with freelancers
● Collaborating on organizational vision, implementing strategic plans and playing a role in the stewardship of the organization
Qualified applicants only. Please apply with resume, letter and references to:
For further information visit www.thedancecurrent.com or email email@example.com.
Application Deadline EXTENDED: April 26th, 2011. Position start date to be confirmed.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.