Job Posting: Publisher (Publishing/Not-for-Profit)
Position Type: Permanent, Part-time
Job Region: ON – Metro Toronto; Location: The Distillery District
The Dance Current is a not-for-profit dance media organization publishing a flagship print magazine and a variety of online content extensions through our web presence at www.thedancecurrent.com. More than a magazine, the organization positions itself as a media and community development organization. Entering our 14th year in May 2011, we are in a growth and development phase and are looking to expand our team.
The Dance Current is looking for a Publisher to oversee and administer its financial and business operations. Responsible for the overall direction of the organization and the profit/loss position of the publication, the Publisher oversees the editorial, advertising, circulation and production departments, and the business office. The Publisher coordinates the efforts of staff members and works with them to develop current and long-range objectives, strategies, and policies for the publication.
The Publisher reports to the Board of Directors and works closely with the Editor. Reporting to the Publisher on the creative side is the Production Coordinator. Reporting to the Publisher on the business side are the Sales and Development Manager, the Circulation Coordinator and the Bookkeeper. As The Dance Current is a small, not-for-profit organization, the position involves a wide variety of responsibilities and the ideal candidate will enjoy working within a closely collaborative and responsive context.
This is a permanent position requiring 3-4 days per week. Compensation is commensurate with experience and time required.
Qualifications for the position include but are not limited to:
● A bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field (required). Diploma, degree or certificate in Publishing is desirable. Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Master’s of Business Administration (MBA) or alternate relevant professional designation would be considered an asset.
● A minimum of 8 years of related experience, in the publishing and/or not-for-profit sector
● Knowledge and experience in the publishing industry and familiarity with business models in the communications/media sector
● A commitment to the importance of arts and culture in Canadian society with a knowledge of and/or passion for the arts, specifically dance.
● An excellent creative and strategic thinker with the drive and aptitude to take the organization to new levels and to make an organizational vision into a reality
● Business administration and financial management expertise with the ability to create and manage complex budgets
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, extreme attention to detail, excellent time management, collaboration/facilitation and team management skills
● Experience leading and managing individuals and teams
● Able to work both independently and in collaborative contexts
● Experience with Mac and Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, and FileMaker
● Bilingual French/English highly desirable.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
● Planning and overseeing revenue development strategies/campaigns: creating budgets, writing grants, analyzing financial reports, developing revenue streams
● Planning and overseeing business development campaigns and marketing, promotions and special projects; collaborating on ad and circulation sales strategies
● Organizing, managing and evaluating business operations and related human resources: structuring, implementing and monitoring business plans, measuring and analysing results
● Managing HR and staff: contracts, roles, responsibilities, pay, benefits, and schedules
● Maintaining relationships with suppliers/service providers for printing, bookkeeping, technology infrastructure, partner organizations, funders and other stakeholders
● Ensuring the necessary resources are available for staff to perform their duties
● Collaborating on organizational vision, implementing strategic plans and playing a role in the stewardship of the organization
Qualified applicants only. Please apply with resume, letter and references to:
For further information visit www.thedancecurrent.com or email email@example.com.
Application Deadline EXTENDED: April 26th, 2011. Position start date to be confirmed.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.